Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Can I put a lot of color in this?" -Coloring rice

We were fortunate enough to be able to order a huge sack of rice for the center so I added some to the sensory table. For the first two weeks of class the children poured and stirred. Today, though I thought it was time to jazz it up a little bit by adding some color. 
To begin, I set a bunch of bowls on the table each with a corresponding color. The children added rice and water color as they saw fit and stirred and stirred. 

The more color they added the deeper and richer the color got. 
Who could blame them for wanting to add the whole bottle? I did have them stop when the color started to puddle because I want the rice to dry so I can put it back in the table or use it for another project.

Honestly, I've never met a child who didn't love to make something colorful. They are so enthralled by the instantaneous effects of swirling around some paint. The action is soothing and the results are always interesting. Some children even chose to view the colors through a magnifying glass: 
 After we colored the rice the children begged to mix the rice, so we did that next. 
I can't wait to use this rice in some collage work. 

The end! 

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails